I repurposed old bandanas that no longer fit my dog and made adorable matching dog bow ties and hair bows for myself. Make your own DIY matching accessories with any fabric you have at home.
- Glue gun
- Rubber bands
- Alligator clips
I’ve linked the items I used here.
- CUT YOUR FABRIC. I used a medium sized bandana from Rupert & Co. If you are making a bow tie and a hair bow, you will need four pieces of fabric. I cut a 12″ x 8″ rectangle for Gus’ bow tie and used the remaining fabric for my hair bow and the strip of fabric that I will wrap around the center of the bow tie and hair bow.
2. FOLD FABRIC. If you are also making hair bows, you would follow the same steps shown in the video below.
3. CINCH FABRIC to form bow tie shape then wrap RUBBER BAND around the center to hold the shape in place.
4. FOLD NARROW STRIP OF FABRIC in half lengthwise twice, then WRAP IT AROUND THE CENTER of the bow tie / hair bow. Glue ends together.
5. CUT A PIECE of ELASTIC for the bow tie. Make sure that the strip you cut is large enough to fit over your pet’s collar. After gluing the ends, glue the elastic to the back of the bow tie and you’re done! Go to step 6 if you’re making hair bows.
6. GLUE HAIR BOW TO ALLIGATOR CLIP or slide clip in the back loop of the hair bow (if possible).
I had so much fun making these bow ties and hair bows and was surprised at how easy it was to make them. I ended up repurposing two dog bandanas and a kitchen towel to make three matching sets.
Check out the Instagram Reels video I made showing the entire process and the finished products here.
Leave a comment if you make your own dog bow ties and/or hair bows!